First Read is a Save the Children Early Childhood Care and Development project, together with Prudence Foundation, that aims to improve the emergent literacy and numeracy of children aged 0-4 years old. It encourages families with preschool-aged children to learn together with the support of their communities.
RULES OF THE CONTEST
ALL PARTIES SUBMITTING ENTRIES ARE DEEMED TO HAVE ACCEPTED THE RULES OF THE CONTEST, AND AGREE TO ABIDE THEREBY. ALL ENTRIES MUST STRICTLY COMPLY WITH THESE RULES. ALL DOCUMENTARY REQUIREMENTS MUST BE COMPLETE AT THE TIME OF SUBMISSION.
- The contest is open from June 25, 2016 to August 1, 2016 to all Filipino citizens of all ages.
- The contest is a writing competition of Short Stories/Book Concepts for Children ages 0-4 years. Entries must be in Filipino.
- An entry must be not more than one hundred (100) words, typewritten on one (1) page and must include a synopsis.
- An entry may deal with any subject and may feature two (2) basic concepts* maximum. All entries shall be relative to the theme “Manguna sa Unang Pagbasa” and must be appropriate for children ages 0-4 years. *example of concepts: colour, numbers, shapes, etc.
- Authors may submit multiple entries.
- All entries must be original unpublished works that have not won in any previous contest.
- Each entry (with synopsis) must be submitted in hard copy, typewritten double-spaced, on 8 ½” X 11” bond paper. It should have a one-inch (1”) margin on all sides. The font should be Arial, Times New Roman, or Book Antiqua. The font size should be 12. The following documents must be sealed inside a long brown envelope: (a) three (3) printed copies of the entry, (b) Official Entry Form, and (c) certificate of originality (All entries must be notarized). Only the title of the entry should be written or typed on the envelope.
- Entries from abroad need not be notarized, but must be authenticated by the Philippine Embassy or Consulate and received by Adarna House on or before August 1, 2016 (Philippine time) to qualify to receive an Award.
- All entries must be submitted no later than the time stated below:
Mode of Submission Date and Time
- Direct submission at the Adarna House office (109 Scout Fernandez corner Scout Torillo Streets, Barangay Sacred Heart, Quezon City 1103) on or before 12:00 m.n. of August 1, 2016
- Mail or Courier post marked no later than August 1, 2016
- In submitting an entry, a contestant represents and warrants that the work is his own and that he has absolute ownership of all intellectual property rights thereto.
- Entries submitted must comply with government policies on printed matters.
- Submitted copies of the winning entry shall remain with, and become a shared property of the author and Adarna House. Submitted copies of non-winning entries may be claimed by the authors not later than six (6) months from the date of announcement of winners.
- In submitting an entry, the author and parent/guardian (if applicable) accepts the rules of the contest and assigns Adarna House the concurrent and exclusive right to exercise the full copyright and all other intellectual property rights granted to the author and the author’s assignees, with respect to his/her winning work(s), to the extent permitted under existing laws applicable. The rights also extend to all forms of storage, transmission, dissemination, and communication, presently existing or subsequently created related to the winning entry(s). To the extent permitted by law, rights shall be worldwide, continuous, and may be exercised by Adarna House for the maximum time allowed by applicable law. The prize money which will be awarded to the Contestant for his winning work(s) shall constitute full payment and shall be in lieu of any royalties or other compensation to the Contestant.
- In connection with the transfer to Adarna House of the rights stated in Rule 13, and pursuant to the requirements of R.A. No. 8293, entries must be accompanied by the author’s written consent to abide by the rules of the contest acknowledged before a Notary Public. In case of minors, the written consent of the parents or legal guardians shall also be required. The Authorization Form and Official Entry Form are available at the Adarna House website and office. If it is discovered later on that said person is not the creator or owner of the copyright to the award-winning work, the contestant/s shall indemnify Adarna House for any and all damages, fees, costs and expenses that they may incur by reason of the infringement by the contestant of the intellectual property rights of another.
- The prize, in Philippine Pesos (Php), for the contest is 15,000.00. The winning entry shall be published by Adarna House, Inc.
- Adarna House and Save the Children have the sole right to designate the persons who shall constitute the Board of Judges of the contest. The decision of the majority of the Board of Judges in all categories shall be final.
- The Board of Judges shall decide on the winning entry based on these criteria:
- Relevance to the Theme
- Age Appropriateness
- Socio-Cultural Sensitivity
- The Board of Judges shall declare one (1) winner as the grand prize.
- The names of the winners and the members of the Board of Judges shall be announced by August 31, 2016.
- The winning story shall be published by Adarna by January 2017.